Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - November 1990

Nov 7 – 1990
This is a long way from ’87, but things have changed & I’m going to start again. Delma, my wife, passed away Oct 13, 1990 in the Fillmore Hospital. I’m still in a daze. All the kids, Carl & Phyllis, have treated me very well, but it’s not the same without Delma.

Carl & I went around to the different places & found things as they should be. We are going to take two calves over to the packing plant for beef for the kids this afternoon. We are going over to the temple tomorrow. Hope I can remember how it is done. This will be my first time since Delma got sick last spring.

Nov 8 – 1990
We went to the temple today & had a good time. When you are in that house your troubles seem to be far away & you are at ease. Saw my old friend Barney. He is a fine man. Also saw Max Martin from Scipio. He works in the temple. When we got home we found things fine, so felt good for going.

Nov 10 – 1990
We took the horses out to Cedar Mt today. WE took the shoes off & then put them in the trailer & ran them out. They acted like they had been turned loose. They go up to the hill & will stay there all winter unless the snow gets too deep. Steve Bennett with his wife Denise & their boy Brett (he is a cute little cuss – he likes animals.)

The weather is perfect here today, about 70 degrees, no storm in sight. Rain is what we need & a lot of it. We had a good Sacrament meeting today. Mark Charlesworth came home from his mission. He was in Portugal. Toni & Larry both called this weekend. Also talked to Ted, so all the kids are in touch. Had a good dinner (pheasant) really good. We are going fishing tomorrow, (Otter Creek.)

Nov 13, 1990
We went fishing yesterday & that’s just what it was. We sat on the bank of Otter Creek Res for 8 hrs & didn’t as much as have one bite. The weather was sure good though, about 70 degrees & no wind. We finally left about 2:30 and came home.
It has been just one month to the day since Delma died & I’m kinda blue. Hope it gets better with time. We, Carl & I , are going to Richfield this afternoon after a part for our tractor. Hope they have it.

Nov 14, 1990
We finished making our daily rounds and saw the horses we took out a few days ago. The weather is very good again today, but a change is on the way. Hope it rains a good amount. We need the moisture bad. The war news is not good. I hope they can find some other way. Ryan and Jerid came down last night to sow me their report cards. They had nearly all A’s. Hope they can keep it up. Tamra & Nicolas are both sick with the flue & have been in bed for a few days. Hope they can get better soon.

Nov 15 – 1990
Tamra & Nick are both better today, which is good. It’s kinda cloudy today, but then it wouldn’t dare rain, so it’s just partly cloudy. My TV is on the blink so had a man from Delta come look at it. He ended up taking it to the sop & is supposed to get it back next Wed. Just got back from the store where I bought some milk & Apple Cider. I like cider. I got more Dr & hospital bills today. I wish they would stop sending them. I got letters from Scott, Ty & Toni this day so did pretty good. They are all well.

Nov 16 – 1990
Things are about the same (no rain). Lula called today & said she felt pretty good, but Lawrence was out to the hospital getting his blood tested for sugar. Hope it is ok again. I went down to Dad’s old place & cut the old walnut tree up for wood. It was sure pretty wood. B.Y.U. & Utah are playing football tomorrow. I’m looking for the Y to beat them (I hope.)

Nov 17 – 1990

Well the Y did what I hoped they would. The score was 45-22 in favor of B.Y.U. Ty Detmer was sharp. He passed for four hundred yards or better. Some passer. It is still dry here & no rain in sight. I heard from Toni & Larry last night. They are both OK. Toni & her boys will be down next Wed. It is Stake Conference tomorrow.

Nov 18, 1990
It is Sunday today & things are still dry. I didn’t get to church today. I thought Rulon would be down so stayed home. He didn’t come, so I should have gone to conference. Ted & Karen went to Delta today & didn’t tell me so I figured they were lost. Finally they came home so I felt better. Bryan & Kay Stephenson came over tonight. Brought me some brownies to eat & visited for awhile. They are sure good kids. Ted, Ryan and Nicholas also came for a visit. I like company.

Nov 21, 1990
It snowed yesterday& is quite cool today. We went out, saw elk yesterday. There were five big bulls & about 28 cows & calves & a small bull. They are sure pretty & big. The TV man is supposed to bring my TV back today. Hope he does. Carl is going to get it over to Glenwood. We moved the cattle down from the field yesterday. They really came along good. We do have some gentle cows. Toni & her family are coming tonight. Hope the roads are in good shape. They brought the TV but it is beyond repair so will have to get a new one.

Nov 22 1990

Things are about the same. It’s cool at night but is not too bad in the day. Toni & family are coming tonight. Hope they have a good trip.

Nov 23 1990 Thursday
It’s a beautiful day today. Toni & family got back in good shape. They got here about 10:30 last night. We went up to Ted’s & Karen’s for dinner which was sure good. She & Ted are both good cooks. Scott had a date with President Condie’s step daughter. She is cute.

Nov 24 (1990)
Another good day today. We went to check the cows. They are fine. Toni fixed all my bills. Boy, talk about bills. She has sure been good in helping with my problems. I sure miss Delma at this time of year. Thanksgiving & Christmas is the most lonely time you could imagine. I’m glad we believe as we do & I’ll get to see her again.

Nov 25 (1990) Sat
Toni & her family went back this morning. She called & said they made the trip in fine shape. They took Scot to Logan & then went on home. B.Y.U. beat the Utah aggies 45 to 10. It was a better game than the score says. They are also playing basketball at the present time. The score is BYU 98 Aggies 94. Good game.

Sun 26 Nov (1990)
Another beautiful day is upon us today, but tomorrow is going to be a difference. Ted, Karen & family went up to Bountiful, Utah today to a Mission farewell. I am going to go to Sac. Meeting and hear Trevor Bennett’s report. If Jerid gets back we are going home teaching tonite. Went Home teaching & only got Melvin Stevens, Wes Stephenson wasn’t home. They said they had a good time. Barta Bennett was out to the meeting. She was in a wheel chair.

Mon 27 Nov ‘90
The weather man said we had a storm on the way but I didn’t believe him. But this morning here it was. It’s snowing right now & it has 2-3 inches on the ground. Wet too. We will take a few bales of hay out to the field to the cows later on today if it stops long enough. I’ve been down to Carl 7 Phyllis’s. They are fine. Don’t know whether Ted is working today or not, due to the storm. Last Sat Ryan & Jerid went over to Wayne Co. to wrestle in a 5 school meet. They sure did good. Jerid took 1st place & Ryan took 2nd in his weight. Good, huh?

Tues 28 (Nov’90)
It has been a beautiful day today. Only in the 30 degree range, but has been quite nice. We took some hay out to Cedar Mt today to feed the little calves in the calf creep. Carl said the meat was ready over to the killing house so will try & get it tomorrow. He also said Lula was feeling a little better. I hope she continues. She is a fine lady & a good sister.

Wed (29 Nov ’90)

We did the chores again today & came home to get warm. It was sure cold last night, but started feeling better when the sun got up. Didn’t get any Dr or Hospital bills today so feel pretty good because of that. Went over & got the meat today. We try and keep the kids in meat part of the time. It should be good. They were quite young & fat. I think I’ll go down to Carl’s & visit for a little while. He is sure good to me since Delma died.

Thursday 29 (Nov ’90)
Another beautiful day today. The sun is shining & it’s very nice in the sun. We did the chores again & then I went to Fillmore to see Lula & Lawrence. They had been to the Dr to have their blood checked. They were OK but have sure had a lot of bad health in the past few years.

Friday 30 Nov 1990
Went to feed the cows again today, then came home & went down to Dad’s old place & got the wood from the old walnut tree that was at the side of the old house. Boy am I stiff tonight. Haven’t done much in the last three months. It was partly cloudy today, but no rain.

No comments: