Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - February 1991

Friday Feb 1 – 1991
Had to haul water out to Cedar Mt again today. The people fixing our windmill was out there pushing the snow so they could get in & fix it, so I hope we won’t be doing it much longer. It freezes about 1 ½ of ice every night so you can see its still cold.

Feb 2 – 1991

Oh happy day! What a beautiful day we have today. This is the warmest day we’ve had since last fall. If it continues maybe this snow will melt down a little. It’s supposed to storm tomorrow but I’ll be it doesn’t. I’m watching the Utah – New Mexico basketball game. The New Mexico school is ahead at the present time. Ty called last night from Boise, ID. He is doing good in school & is well health wise.

Feb 3 – 1991 Sunday
Nothing much happened here today except the usual Sunday. Went to Sac meeting, then had dinner up to Ted’s. It was very good.

Feb 4 – 1991 Monday
We had a terrible day. We took water out to Cedar Mt & got stuck with the big truck. We didn’t have a shovel & the ice was four or five inches thick. Phyllis finally came out to get us. We came home and got the 4 wheel drive truck, a chain & some shovels and went back. Finally got out & came home about 3:00 PM all pooped out & still am.

Feb 5 – 1991 Tuesday

I’m still tired. I’m getting old. My knees don’t bend good any more, especially the one I got shot in. Went to Fillmore today & took my checks over. Didn’t even stop any other place. I’m about finished reading the Book of Mormon. I got more out of it this time than ever before. Hope things are finally starting to sink in. Good day today. We need rain or wet snow.

Wed. Feb 6 – 1991
It’s been quite warm today for a change. They are fixing the windmill today. Hope the wind blows so the water hauling can be finished. Burton McKee died yesterday, the 5th of Feb. That’s two who has died since Delma. They have both been old. I’m still in a daze from Delma passing. Also Clem Wankier from Levan died yesterday. He was a good basketball player & played against me in my better days. They are having both services the same day & time so guess I’ll go here.

Thursday Feb 7 – 1991
Didn’t do much today except feed the cows & go to the bank & see if Delma had put my Insurance Policy in the Safety Deposit box but couldn’t find it.

Friday Feb 8 – 1991
Got my hair cut up to Ted’s today, then came home & had dinner. Watched TV, then went to bed only to get up again to watch more TV.

Saturday Feb 9 – 1991
Did the chores, then went to the funeral. Burton McKee died in Fillmore Hospital. It was a fine meeting & he was a very good man. Saw John Step & Coral & the other kids.

Sunday Feb 10 – 1991
Did the chores out to Cedar Mt then came home & laid down so didn’t get to church. Went up to Ted’s for dinner, so had a good meal. When I get my own meals it’s not so hot. I have one item & that’s all. I’m getting fat so I’m doing fine.

Monday Feb 11 – 1991
The Gulf War still goes on with no end in sight. I think we have another Hitler on our hands in that rag headed person in Iraq. It’s been a good day today, but still no storm. We need some real bad. Got a letter from Ty last week & from Scott today. They sure are good kids & hope they do well in whatever they do.

Tuesday Feb 12 – 1991
Beautiful day today. We did the chores, then went to the field up east of town. Saw a few deer & still a lot of snow with no water in it. We will take our Sunday School cows up there before they start having their calves. Hope they have good luck with the calves.

Wed Feb 13 – 1991
Its four months since Delma passed away & I feel about as bad as I did before. I pray things change for me soon. I feel terrible. This winter is partly to blame because I spend too much time doing nothing. Maybe Spring will make a difference, at least I hope so. Lester Dobson has asked Carl & I along with Phyllis to go fishing with them over to Fish Lake, through the ice. Hope we have a good time. It is tomorrow or Thursday.

Thurs Feb 14 – 1991
It’s Valentine’s Day today, but things aren’t as they used to be. With Delma gone my good intentions are about gone. Hope things get better. Went fishing to Fish Lake today & just got home. Carl & Phyllis stayed overnight with Lester & Jean. Hope they have a good time. They’ll be home tomorrow . I brought 4 nice fish home – 2 rainbows, one splake & one Mackinaw.

Friday Feb 15 – 1991
Things are doing quite well today. It’s partly cloudy & is nice & warm. We had our first little calf today. It’s a little heifer and is white as snow. We are taking them up to the field Monday.

Saturday Feb 16 – 1991

Toni & Jodi got here about 10:30 or so last night & Toni is cleaning up the house & fridge. She is a very fine daughter. She also has a fine family including her husband, Mike. We have the chores done & it’s been sprinkling a little. Hope it does more of the same.

Sunday Feb 17 – 1991

It was raining when I woke up this morning but didn’t last long. It was a lot better than we’ve had. Toni has been down & is working her head off. Went up to get my Temple Recommend from our Bishop, Lester Dobson. Also did my Home Teaching tonight. I go to Albert Bennett’s, Melvin Stevens & Wesley Stephenson. My partner is Jerid Bennett, my grandson. (Good boy!)

Monday Feb 18 – 1991
Toni went home today & I’m alone again. She & Ted have sure helped me with my bills & income tax reports. Should be in good shape as far as things go. It snowed a little again today as we were taking the cows up to the field. Got kinda wet. I hope it can storm quite often for we need the water. Ty called to see if his mother had started early enough for her to be getting home. He wanted to see her before he went back to Boise to school.

Feb 19 – 1991

The weather today is pretty good but cooler than we’ve had the last few days. Steven & Denise had a baby girl today & are both doing well. They are all very glad. We also have a new calf out to the Cedar Mt. field.

Feb 20 – 1991
Today is beautiful, high cloud & quite warm. Went to Fillmore to get the property in my & Ted’s name in case something happened to me. Saw Lula. She & Lawrence are doing pretty good. Carl & Phyllis have Steve’s boy Brett for a few days. He is a character.

Feb 21 – 1991
It was Lula’s birthday today. Hope she had a good time. I went out to Duggins with Wesley Stephenson, a cousin of ours, to see the cattle they have. They are just about finished calving & have had a good time. They have only lost one calf in over a hundred. They have a good warm house to stay in & a fine calving shed. I had a good time all day. He is a good friend. (Wesley that is.)

Fri Feb 22 – 1991
Did the chores again, but didn’t have any more calves. Talked to Wesley Step & Clair Stephenson. They are both older looking, so don’t feel so bad myself. Brought the Semital Bull in to Carl’s from Cedar Mt. When we left the white one & him were fighting. Hope they both give out soon or they find out who the boss is. Georgia Nixon Gustavason died & they are having her grave side tomorrow at 12:00. I should go.

Sat Feb 23 – 1991
Beautiful day again today. No wind & no storm. Didn’t get up to the cemetery for the graveside today & should have my head fixed. I’m kinda sick today. Hope it doesn’t last. I’ve been reading a book of Albert B L.D.S. Prophets Steaks. Boy I better start doing better. It’s kinda scary.

Sunday Feb 24 – 1991
Well we have a new Bishop as of now. Frank Stevens as Bishop with Kevin Coats as first & Norman Stevens as second Counselor. The outgoing are Lester Dobson as Bishop with Robert Wood first & Carl Bennett as second Counselors. They have been the best we have ever had in my opinion. Drove over to Fillmore last night to have my Temple Recommend signed.

Mon Feb 25 – 1991
Another good day. Not a cloud in the sky. Just got back from the field where I have been looking at the cows. I think they will all have calves, but the question is when? We have three up there & eight to go. Ted got the car inspected while he was over to Fillmore so that is done for another year.

Feb 26 – 1991
Went to the field today & found two new calves. They were doing fine, so left them as they were. Also went to Fillmore for more blood pressure pills.

Feb 27 – 1991
Another good day today. Warm & not much wind. The weatherman says we have a storm coming in from the south. (I’ll have to see it.)

Thursday Feb 28 – 1991
It sprinkled this morning but didn’t last long. Hope it comes again. Ted has been going to feed with us in the mornings. He is between jobs & will go back Monday.

No comments: