Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - May 1991

Friday May 3 – 1991
We still have a good stream of water going in the pond & we are using it as well as we can. Dean Bennett has it now for a few days. The deer ware still up there eating the alfalfa as fast as it comes up. I wish they’d leave.

Sunday, May 5 – 1991
Went to Church today & took the High Priest Roll for him. He had the water. It was a good day weather wise. Dean has the water so we can take it easy. I had some company today. Earl & Lola Stevens, also Abe & Chasty Bennett. They are all good folks. Carl & Phyllis brought little Brett, Steve’s boy, home with them. He sure is a good little kid.

Wednesday, May 8 – 1991
It’s windy today & is supposed to storm tonight. (Hope it does.) We still have a little water up to the field. We have been up to the canyon nearly every day to work on the ditch. Carl does all the walking. My leg is getting a little worse all the time so Carl has taken the hard part.

Sunday, May 12 – 1991 Mother’s Day
It’s a beautiful day today. The sun is shining & the rain we had yesterday is gone. We have had the water for the last 4 or 5 days. The sprinklers are going fine. It’s Mother’s day today & is going to be a hard day for me. I never realized how much a person can be missed until now or the last 8 months. I feel out of place every place I go & days like today only makes it that much worse. Hope I can feel a little better soon.

Monday May 13 – 1991
Today Carl called to say he & Phyllis were sick. I was down to his place yesterday & he wanted to know if I was well. I am up till now. Hope I can continue. Toni & Larry called yesterday. They & their families are all well. Ted & Karen went to Provo this morning.

Tues May 14 – 1991
Got up this morning to cloudy skies & the prospect of rain (I hope.) Carl & Phyllis are both sick today with colds. Hope it doesn’t last too long. I’ve got a little cold, but it isn’t bad yet. I haven’t seen Ted yet today, so don’t know how they made I up to Provo yesterday. We had a nice storm here about noon. It rained hard for about 3 hours. The best we’ve had in a long time. I was up to the field when it started & slipped all over the road getting out. It still looks like it could come again. I guess it flooded up to S.L.C. from the news reports.

Wed May 15 – 1991
Delma’s birthday today. She would have been 70 years old had she lived. I miss her very much as you can imagine. She & Lola Stevens are the same age to the day. It rained all last night & was it wet. I didn’t do much. Went out to the rock garden to see the water for the cows & that’s all. Also went to see Carl & Phyllis. They are both sick. Hope they can get to feeling better soon. It’s still quite cold, but should warm up soon.

Thursday May 16 – 1991
Boy today is beautiful. Just a few clouds & warm weather for a change. This has been the best storm we have had in years. We may get some more this weekend. I hope so. Things are green & really pretty. The deer are still up to the field but I don’t think we have quite as many. We also have the water up there. It is sprinkling good. Carl is feeling a little better today but looks kinda tough.

Saturday May 18 – 1991
The wind has had a hay day yesterday. It started early & stayed late. We had gusts to 70 miles an hour, so you can imagine how things are. Carl has pneumonia so has been grounded for 4 or 5 days. The wind is still with us but not quite as bad as yesterday. Scotty called from Logan last night. He still has 2 weeks to go. I feel pretty good now. We still have the deer up to the field. Hope they leave soon so the stuff can grow. The cattle are all doing good.

Sunday May 19 – 1991
It’s a beautiful day here today. I didn’t get to church today. The ox got in the mire yesterday. The water broke out up in the canyon so went up there to look things over. We need about two sections of plastic pipe the 15”. Toni just called to say things were good up there. Carl is still ailing so Rick & I will give him a blessing today sometime. I need to talk to Ted today so will go up there in a few minutes.

Monday May 20 – 1991
Went to Salina for 2 sections of 15” pipe for the ditch up in the canyon. Hope we can get it fixed.

Tuesday May 21 – 1991
Our cousin, Barta Bennett Millvile died last night. She has been in terrible shape for a week or so. She has been in the Fillmore hospital for about 3 years, so it is a blessing she could go. She was ready. I’m waiting around here for a part of the pipe that was shipped from Logan yesterday. Should have been here this morning. Hope it comes.

May 23 – 1991
The pipe fitting got here on the UPS & Ted, Rick & I went up & put I on, then got the water back in the pond. It has been a job trying to keep the water going. It seems the adversary is sitting on our shoulders every since we got the water piped down. I hope things improve. It’s either drought or trouble. Went over to Salina today to see my old friend, George Jackson, but he wasn’t home so didn’t get to see him. Ted & I got the horses in this morning so can go riding any time.

Thursday, May 24 – 1991
I hate to write on the bottom of the page from my lap. It’s bad. The water up to the field is still quite good yet. The deer are still there also. Ted & Karen are going up to get Larry from the plane. He will be here for Memorial day along with Ted & Toni. I’m glad of that. I’m going to give closing prayer in Barta’s service. Hope I can do a good job. We are all going up to the Field after the funeral. I hope someone comes.

May 25 – 1991
We had a beautiful day yesterday but got busy & didn’t write. (Sorry). Larry came yesterday also. Was sure glad to see him. It’s Sat. today & Barta’s funeral today & I’ve got give the closing prayer so I’m kinda nervous. Then after we are going to have our yearly get together. It’s also a good day today. We had a good time up to the field. Lots of good food & about 60 or 70 people. They all left early because of the rain. It started and lasted about 20 minutes, then was beautiful again. But everyone had gone except a few of the die hards like me & my kids.

Sunday May 26 – 1991
Another beautiful day today. Toni got here about 2 or 3 in the afternoon & had got to go back tomorrow but a little visit is good. My gets all get along well together. I feel proud of all of them & I know Delma did also. I sure do miss her.

Memorial Day Mon May 27 – 1991
It’s kinda cool today & a jacket feels good. The cemetery was really pretty & everything went as planned. I should have gone to Levan, but didn’t have time. Will go for sure next year. We have the water up to the field. It seems good to have some for a change. Carl is feeling better. He goes to the Dr. tomorrow so will know then.

Tuesday May 28 – 1991
Toni went home yesterday & arrived safely. Larry went this morning & should call when he gets home. I have some fine kids & they picked very good mates so I’m very happy with the whole deal.

Thursday May 30 – 1991
Missed again yesterday (sorry.) I don’t know whether you think this is worth it or not, but things around here are quite dead. Carl went to Salina to get a rubber part for our sprinkler. We will fix that as soon as possible.

Friday May 31 – 1991
It rained all morning & was a good soaker. We changed the water & got wet from it and the rain.

No comments: