Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - April 1991

Monday 1 April – 1991
Carl & Phyllis went to S.L.C. today to see Carl’s eye Dr. Hope they can find something to help. He has me worried. The weather is cloudy but they are at least a mile high.

April 5 – 1991
We started our spring work last Mon. so have been busy for a change. We dug & planted the land up to the field. It may have been in vain, but if you don’t sow it’s for sure you can’t reap. We did it anyway. Carl & Phyllis are going to Salt Lake today for Lester’s boy’s wedding. They will bring Lula & Lawrence home tonight. The family is still fine as far as I know. Hope they continue.

April 8 – 1991
It’s cool again today, but still dry. We had 3 new calves out to Cedar Mt today. They all seem fine. Ted has been fixing a leak in my shower today & finally got it done. Jerid has been down to mow the lawn. It looks pretty good.

Tuesday April 9 – 1991
Things here are about the same as yesterday. Larry called from Arizona last night. He is there for a few days seeing the kids. Talked to all of them. Larry caught a 5 lb bass and is going to take it home to mount it. He does a good job.

Wed 10 April 1991
It’s snowing outside! I thought I’d write this down before it stopped. This is the first storm that has amounted to anything for a long time. Ted & Karen are going to Fillmore later on today.

Thursday April 11 – 1991
(It Snowed!) Believe it or not I got up this morning to 5-6 inches of snow. The best one all winter. Also it has snowed off & on all day. We, that is Carl & Phyllis & I, were going to the temple today, but chickened out when we saw the snow. They put Mom’s marker up today. Boy it sure is pretty. I hope she likes it. We all think it’s very good. I didn’t think they’d do it today in the snow, but they did.

Sat April 13 - 1991
Today is 6 months since Delma passed away. It is also our anniversary. We got married the 13th of April in ’45. I still feel terrible about the whole thing, but I know things will be fine if I can keep things together. Toni called today. Said tings in Idaho were fine.

Friday April 18 – 1991
I’ve been busy for the last week so will write all I can think of today. Rulon Wood called last Sat on the 13th to say Clark, his Dad was getting weaker all the time. I will try & go up next Sunday to see him. He has a fine family. We have been trying to get the water down from the canyon. We had a ditch bank fall off down in the canyon. Had to get 80’ of 15’’ plastic pipe to fill in the bank. Ted has been helping us with the hard work. Went to the temple & got two sessions. Carl & Phyllis & Abe went with.

Sunday April 21 – 1991
Ted’s birthday today. He is a good boy as are my other kids. Yesterday we went up & worked on the ditch & tried to get the water down, but unless it storms more even if we do get a little water it won’t do much good. I talked to Larry & Toni on the phone last night. They are well. Forest, Larry & Lynda’s boy, is going over to Denmark for an exchange student this summer. I think that I great. I hope he enjoys it. It was going to storm today, but the sky is blue & the wind is going to blow. (I think.)

Mon April 22 – 1991
Went up to Levan yesterday to see Grandpa. He is getting a lot weaker, but still went to church. He is a remarkable man. Rulon & Jessie are both well. We’ve had a good visit. We had a full pond, so turned it on the sprinkler only to find Dean Bennett hadn’t drained his line, so it had broken from the frost last winter.

Tuesday April 23 – 1991
Dean finally got his sprinkler fixed so we could turn the water on. It is going good, but we are using more water through the sprinkler than we are getting in the pond. So will soon have to turn it off until it builds up again. We have been up the ditch every day, but haven’t done much good. There is just no water. We are going to try & do the calves Sat. Hope Ted can help.

Sat April 27 – 1991
Here it is Sat & it’s messy. We have had a good storm, both rain & snow. We were going to do the calves today, but will do them Monday. It’s raining & snowed last night. Toni & family came down Thursday night, but have been in Provo with Scott who is playing in a golf tournament. I have the water on the six acres also so am busy for a change. Ty & Jodi are up to Ted’s but will be back soon. I’m here looking out at the snow. (Oh happy day!)

Sunday April 28 – 1991
Toni & her family just left for home. It’s at times like this I miss Delma the most. I am going to Levan & then Santiquin to dinner for Grandpa’s birthday. I will try & write as who is there. All of Clark’s kids, along with myself were there. We had a fine time & had a good visit. Got home about 5:00.

Mon April 29 – 1991
We finally got the calves done today. I did the knife work & cut my finger & also stabbed my hand when the calf kicked. Found out today little Tamra has the shingles. Boy I hope she gets over it soon. That is about the worst thing I’ve had. We have one sprinkler on up to the field. Hope to keep it going.

It’s a beautiful day today. It’s kinda windy, but still good. We have a pretty good stream of water going in the pond now, so turned another sprinkler on this morning, so now we have two. The deer are all still bad up there, but not much can be done about it. All the calves we doctored are still on all fours so they should be alright. I went over to Lula’s & Lawrence’s for dinner last night to celebrate Laurence’s birthday. She is a good cook. I ate too much as usual. It was really good. Went out to Lester Dobson’s today to see his ostriches. They are huge, the old Tom was mad & tried to kick me, but I kept away from him. They are expecting eggs anytime. Hope they get some soon.

No comments: