Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - June/July 1991

Saturday June 1 – 1991
Changed the water, then went out to Cedar Mt. We found the cows way over to the South side. The feed has never been better as far as I know. The last week or so the rains have done wonders for the grass.

Sunday June 2 – 1991
Dean took the water today & will have it for four days. Went to church. It was Pres. Condie’s & wife’s farewell for their mission. They are to be Pres for the Billings Montana mission. It was a good meeting.

Monday June 3 - 1991

Went out to Cedar Mt to fix the backstop on the hay. I got hit by a long that fell from the top of the stop. IT hit me on the hip & knocked me down. Carl came running & helped me up. I kept working & it seemed to help. Hope it gets better soon.

Tuesday June 4 – 1991
I feel better today even if I did have a terrible night. I didn’t sleep hardly any, but wait till tonight.

Wednesday June 5 – 1991
It’s been a beautiful day today, kinda windy, but nice. Didn’t do much, just fixed the backstop to the field, then came home to read. I’m reading the New Testament which is kinda hard for me to understand. (Dumb, huh?)

Thursday June 6 – 1991
We took the water from Dean this morning, then put the horse in the trailer & went out to Cedar Mt for a ride. The first one in a year. Had a good time. I let the old horse take his time & didn’t hurry. The gnats & mosquitoes were thick so sprayed me & the horse with Off. After that it wasn’t as bad. I enjoyed the ride.

Sunday June 30 – 1991
I’ve been a stinker! This is the first time since the 6th of June . We have been busy & the book has been under some papers so didn’t see it. (Out of sight, out of mind.) We have been changing water, fixing fence, cutting hay. Even went on the Mt on the horse. Nearly killed me for a few days, but am feeling better, so will try it again one of these days. WE still have more fence to fix & more hay to cut. We are going to help Dean Bennett with his so will start tomorrow. Hope to do a good job. Ted & Karen are up to Ogden for a birthday. Should be home tonight. Saw George Hunter yesterday. The first time for years. He has lung cancer from too many cigarettes. Should have quit sooner. Just got back from the field. I go up there to read & think, so that’s a good place.

Saturday July 6 – 1991
I’m waiting for a ride to go to Hinckley, Utah to a funeral. A man I used to work with died. It is Beryl Wood’s son. She talked at Delma’s funeral. Things here are very hot. It should get up to about 100 degrees today. We haven’t had a sprinkle for nearly 2 months so it’s really dry & dusty. We got all the hay up yesterday except the patch of Oat hay which isn’t quite ready. Ty got home safe yesterday. He was sure a good kid while he was here. Carl and I are going to try it on the Mt again Monday. Hope we can make it. They have asked Grandpa Wood to be grand Marshall of the Utah Stampede this year. He is 102 years old. That is an honor & one well deserved. I’ll try to go up to see the parade the first day and give him thumbs up. He is a great man & has some fine kids.

July 9 – 1991

I’m just resting today. Went on the Mt yesterday to fix fence. Boy that’s some job for an old man. We did real well for the time we were there. Got it all done except the K.B. part of it. Bryan Stevens still has his part to do, then we can take the cows up. We have some good cows, so should be easy to get up there.
Went up to Levan Sunday & had a good meal. Ted & Karen also all their kids were there along with the biggest part of the other folks. Earl & Lillis were the only kids missing except for Delma. Earl was feeling bad, so Lillis had to stay with him. Their daughter was there with her new husband. They are going to live in Hawaii. He is an Hawaiian. (dark skinned.) Wish it would rain. We really need it. We still have a little water up to the field so should have a little 2nd crop for a change. The Lord has been good to us this summer. Hope we can continue to have his blessings.

July 25 – 1991
It’s been a long time since I last wrote but I’ll try & remember some of the things that has happened. WE got the hay up. Carl hauled it with the hay wagon. That sure makes it nice for me. They had a 24th of July parade yesterday. The kids all did fine. They also had the three wars represented. I was the one for World War II. Jerry Steven Coats for the Korean & Ross for the Viet Nam. We didn’t have a person for the Persian Gulf so that was left out. Lillian Wood died on the 21st of July & they are burying her today. I will be going & I think Clark Wood will be down from Levan. I cleaned the house up a little today so hope they can get in if they do come. Poor old Clyde. He sure looks tough, but then he has been through a lot the last few months. Hope it gets better for him soon. Wish it would rain. The dust is knee deep. The wind blows every day.

July 26 – 1991
It’s another good day today, if the sun & wind can be classed as good. I wish it would rain so it could cool off & settle the dust. I got a letter & pictures from Lynda today. The pictures are sure good of the boys & Larry & Lynda. Also Lynda has always been able to write the most interesting letters ever, so I really enjoyed the letter & pictures. My old friend Murray Davies died yesterday in the Beaver Mts of a heart attack. He was a nice person. They are having his services tomorrow. Carl went to Provo today to see the Dr. Hope he comes home with good news. He has spots on his lungs.

No comments: