Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - January 1991

Tuesday (January) 1 - 1991
It’s a little warmer today, but still too cold for me. I haven’t heard from any of the kids yet today so don’t know how they are. Aunt Ada called & said she had talked to Lula & she thought Lawrence was feeling a little better. Hope they can get his blood regulated. Carl & Phyllis went to Spanish Fork to see Steven& Denise. I’m going to fix a pot of soup. It works for me. Went to Lester Dobson’s last night and watched a video on the wild horses of Australia. It was right good.

Jan 2 – 1991

This is the coldest winter I can remember. Went to the viewing today, then didn’t feel very good, so came home. Helen B. Peterson called. She was over to Fillmore seeing Lula & Lawrence, so went over to see how they were. She is doing fine. So is Lula, but Lawrence isn’t doing so well. He wants to go home, but until he does better he’ll have to stay where he is. Wish he could start feeling better. He has a poor attitude.

Jan 3 – 1991
Went to Fillmore today to see Lawrence & Lula. Carl went with me. Lawrence isn’t doing very well. Bonnie, David’s wife, was there with Lula, but has to go home tomorrow. It’s still cold & no relief in sight. It is cloudy, but no storm.

Jan 4 – 1991
It stormed today, but still remains cold, but not as bad as it was. We are still hauling water to the cows at Cedar Mt. They drink a lot more than they should. Lula hasn’t called, so don’t know how Lawrence is today. I hope he is feeling better.

Jan 5 – 1991
It warmed up during the night. Hope it stays that way for a while. I don’t like the cold. Toni called tonight and said things were fine up there, but it had been cold. Rulon also called & said Grandpa was fine & had been free of colds this winter. He is nearly blind, so can’t read which is terrible. If I couldn’t see I’d be in bad shape. That’s all that keeps me going. Hope the Good Lord lets me keep my eyesight.

Jan 6 – 1991
It isn’t as cold today as it has been. Went to church today. The program was a high council member from Hatton or Kanosh, Stott was his name. It was good. Went up to Ted’s for dinner. It was very good.

Monday Jan 7 – 1991
Fed the cows again & hauled water out to Cedar Mt. A knock came on the door & there stood Ty, Toni’s boy. I had no idea.

Tues Jan 8 – 1991
I enjoyed Ty coming to visit. He & Karen went to Provo & got me a TV. IT is sure a good one. It has a VCR in it & remote control.

Wed Jan 9 – 1991
Ty had to go back today. He was going to Provo to see his friend who is going to B.Y.U. We fed the cows again tonight and if weather permits will try & go to the temple at Manti. The peace meeting with Iraq failed so it looks like war. Those crazy people in the Middle East are something else. Hope they are beaten & soon.

Thursday, Jan 10 – 1991
Got up early today & went to the temple with Carl & Phyllis. We went through two sessions & then had a good dinner. Saw our old friend named Barney. Never asked for his first name so don’t know what it is. When we got home Carl went to Cedar Mt & I went out to the little field. Everything was fine. Lula is sick today. She shouldn’t have gone to Provo with Lawrence, I don’t think. Hope she gets better soon. She is one of the best people I know.

Jan 11 – 1991
Things are about the same as yesterday. The sun is shining, but it’s still chilly. We had to take water out to the field for the cows. We went over to see Lula & Lawrence today. Lula is run down and unless she slow down she will be as bad as Lawrence. He looks a lot better, but says he doesn’t feel so good. I have the kids here tonight. That is Tamra & Nick. Their folks have gone to Vegas to a wrestling tournament. Will be back Sunday.

Jan 12 – 1991

Today has been a decent day for a change. When we went out to Cedar Mt today we saw two elk, a cow and a bull. That’s the first time I’ve seen elk that close. They were right off the edge of the road. The kids have been very good & had a good night’s rest. We had pizza for dinner & also for supper, except for me. I had bread & milk and two fried eggs. Good, huh?

Jan 13 – 1991

It has been three months today since Delma passed away & I feel kinda bad. I don’t know why it had to happen. It should have been me. I’m sure she could get along much better than I ever will be able too. But then I’m not the judge of such things. Carl & Phyllis had us down for dinner today. It was sure good. Ted & Karen & the boys haven’t gotten home yet.

They finally got home & said they had a good time. The boys did good wrestling.

Jan 14 – 1991
It has been foggy today. Very foggy, in fact. I’ve watched TV all day trying to see if those rag heads are going to withdraw from Kuwait. But I guess not. The war should start after the 15th of Jan. I hope it doesn’t last long. I’m afraid the other side will use poison gas. If they do, I think we should do the same, if not drop an atomic bomb on them.

Jan 15 – 1991
Today is the day Iraq is or should pull out of Kuwait, but they aren’t going to, it doesn’t look like. It looks like we have a crazy man on our hands. The same as Hitler of 50 years ago. Hope someone gets him before a lot of boys get killed.
Called Lula today. She said Lawrence was home & is a little better.

Jan 16 – 1991

We did the chores again as usual & then took a load of water out to Cedar Mt. Then rode up to the field to see if the deer had been getting in the hay yard. They hadn’t, so felt pretty good. When I got home around 4:30 PM I turned the TV on & nearly fell over. The war in the gulf was on & it’s still going full blast. Boy I hope it doesn’t last long. I stayed up about all night watching the TV so feel kinda sleepy today.

Jan 17 – 1991

All you can hear today is the war. I feel sorry for the boys over there because I remember how I felt when I was overseas. I sure hope they can get it over in a hurry & then get home to their families. Our prayers are with all of them.

Jan 18 – 1991
Got up and did the same old thing as yesterday. Except I went over to see Lawrence & Lula. They look pretty good & said they felt better. We are all tired of winter. I think some warm days will help all of us. The war is still going full blast. I don’t see how the country can stand as much bombing as they say Iraq has had. Hope that crazy man gives up soon. He runs for shelter as soon as the bombs start falling, so it’s no wonder he is still in good shape. President Bush tried everything before he gave his OK for war. I think these people protesting the war should all be jailed & the key thrown in the East River, the one with no bottom. (My feelings.)

Jan 19 – 1991
The war goes on. I hope this bombing can do what needs to be done. The enemy has dropped or shot missiles in Israel. Didn’t do much damage, but it shouldn’t have been done. They aren’t even in the war.

Sunday, Jan 20 – 1991
Another day is passed & it’s still winter. I didn’t feel very good, so didn’t go to church. It was Mike Wood’s mission report, so I missed a good meeting. Lula called & wanted me to take Lawrence up to the Dr. tomorrow. Hope they find his problem. Went home teaching tonight. Jerid, Ted’s boy, is my partner & is a good one. We go to Albert Bennett, Melvin Stevens & Wesley Stephensons. We have good visits in all the homes. Toni called & said her boys were home from school & that all was fine.

Monday, Jan 21 – 1991
Took Lawrence to see the Dr. He has a sore arm & is going to see Dr. Richard Jackson from Provo when he comes down to the Fillmore Hospital. They must have his blood doing a little better. They are good people.

Tuesday Jan 22 – 1991
We did the chores again & found things good, but cold. Carl is going to the Dr for his eyes Thursday. Ricky Bennett & I gave him a blessing, so I believe things may be fine. His eyes are quite bad & he is worried as are the rest of us. Ted went with us again today. He is a great help & I appreciate him & Karen.

Wed Jan 23 – 1991
Today is a little better as far as temperature is concerned. The sun is out & if you stay out of the breeze feels good. Went over to Fillmore with Ted & Karen to see Jerid wrestle with Hurricane High. He lost by one point & did very good. Ryan didn’t wrestle because of his neck. He may start again next week. Carl is going up to the Dr’s tomorrow for his eyes. Hope they can help him.

Thursday Jan 24 – 1991
Carl got back from the Dr & was told there was nothing that could be done with his eye. Some blood vessels have ruptured in his eye & unless it gets better on its own there isn’t much that can be done. He has another appointment in one month, so will see then.

Friday Jan 25 – 1991
Not much today to report. The weather is a little warmer out there today. Called Lula. She said Lawrence was a little better, but she has a cold. Seems they go from one to the other. Carl & Phyllis are going up to Lehi to a funeral tomorrow. A cousin of Phyllis’s died.

Sat Jan 26 – 1991
Not much to say today. Fed the cows, came home & read here in the sun. I opened the drapes & the sun shine sure feels good. Ted, Karen & the kids are all fine.

Sun Jan 27 – 1991
Went to Levan today to see Grandpa Wood & Rulon & Jessie. They had all been to church & were having their afternoon after-dinner naps. They were all well & doing fine. Ted, Karen & family went with us. They are all doing fine too. They had a missionary farewell here in church yesterday. It was a Robinson that all I know. They are from some other part of the country & have moved here. The missionary is a girl.

Monday Jan 28 – 1991

Didn’t do much today. Just fed the cows & sat around the remainder of the day. It’s still cold & no storm.

Tues Jan 29 – 1991
Went over to Fillmore today & took Lawrence to the Dr. He was told he was getting better. His blood sugar is down pretty well. His lungs are clear & in short, he is getting better. Lula is also doing quite well. Hope they can both continue to be feeling better. Carl came up today & we had a good visit. That is one fine man & brother. I am listening to Pres. Bush & his State of the Union message. I’m a Democrat, so don’t believe all I’m hearing, but I’m listening.

Wed Jan 30 – 1991
It was -9 below zero this morning so you can see it’s cold. This is the coldest winter. It is the 4th coldest since they have kept records. I’m sick of the cold & also the driest for some time, only 67% of normal. I guess we are in for another dry summer.

Jan 31-1991

Not much doing today. Only cold & dry. Watched TV & then read the Book of Mormon. I have read it before, but got more out of it than ever before. Had the home teachers tonight. C.R. Charlesworth & his youngest son. We had a good visit. He is a son of Mary Bennett Charlesworth, Abe’s sister.

No comments: