Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fred's Journal - December 1990

Sat. 1 Dec 1990
Another beautiful day today. We did the chores again & then went out to fix a gate. Got that done & came home & had an egg sandwich with Tamra & Nick. They are good kids & are getting along fine. Today B.Y.U. is playing Hawaii. Also Ty Detmer is up for the Heisman trophy. Hope he gets it. Detmer got the Heisman and also let Hawaii beat them bad. The score was 59-28. I couldn’t believe it. That is the most points ever scored against the Y ever. I still can’t imagine what happened. It was terrible.

Sunday 2 Dec (1990)
Didn’t get to church today. Just sat around & read. Ted invited me up for dinner & it was sure good. They are up to Wild Goose after Christmas trees at the present time. Toni called last night. They are all fine. Larry & Lynda are in New Orleans for a meeting. Hope they have a good time.

Mon 3 Dec 1990
It was Carl’s birthday today. He is 68. Went down & took a card to him then went to Fillmore to the bank. Stopped in Lula’s to see her & Lawrence. They are still having a few problems. Lula with her heart & Lawrence with his blood pressure. It was quite cold today & will be for several days yet.

Tuesday 4 (Dec) 1990
It’s still cool. The sky was a thin layer of clouds & the sun can’t warm things up very much. Someone brought me a cute little tree all lighted and decorated. It’s about 2’ high & is real cute. I think it was Karen. She is a good girl. Ted is working with Ken Zigler over to Fillmore on a new house. Hope he can stay well.

Wed 5 Dec 1990
It’s another beautiful day but quite cool. Jessie Wood, Rulon’s wife, just brought Grandpa Wood down. It’s the first time I’ve seen him since Delma passed away. He is 102 years old & is doing very well for his age. He has been in Idaho with Everett, his oldest boy * his wife Lavern. Clark is kinda unsteady on his feet, but his mind is still sharp. They were going to see Clyde Wood & Karen, Ted’s wife.

Thursday 6 (Dec) 1990
Just got back from the wrestling over to Fillmore. It was with Delta & there were some good matches. Jerid was a JV wrestler & lost his match, but did a good job. Ryan is a fine wrestler & beat his match on points. He sure had plenty of action. I enjoyed the evening. Jerid is going to be a good man in a year or so. He is only 14.

Friday 7 (Dec) 1990
I got up this morning & with Carl & Phyllis, Abe & Chasty, went over to the temple. Had a very good time. Had a fine dinner and got home about 2:30 PM. Today is a day I’ll remember forever. It’s the day Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and started World War Two. I was in Camp Roberts, California expecting to come home for Christmas. Four years later I did get home. Then the following April I did get married to Delma, the best woman for me you could ever imagine. I’m afraid this is going to be a bad time for me, Christmas & all. I remember Delma in everything I do, so may do nothing. Ryan just came down. He is a fine boy along with the other kids of Ted’s & Karen’s.

Sat 8 (Dec 1990)
We fed the cows again today & then came home to sit around & try to get rid of the cold I’ve had since yesterday. Ted & Karen went to Bountiful today for their family Christmas party. I’ve been watching Army & Navy football game. The score is 17-14 for Army. I don’t care how it comes out. The sun is really out today.

Sun 9 (Dec) ‘90
It was another fine day today. The sun was out, but it is still quite cool. Went to feed the cows today & found everything in good shape. Was going to church, but with my cold didn’t think it was a good idea. So stayed home & doctored up. Feel better for doing it. Carl & Phyllis came up today. They are doing quite well. We had a good visit. Jerid & I got our Dec home teaching done tonight. We go to Albert Bennett, Melvin Stevens & Wesley Stephenson’s. It is a pretty good beat & I kinda enjoy it. Karen & Ted has sure got the Christmas lights out. They are very pretty.

Dec 10 1990
It has been another fine day today. It’s even been warmer than usual. We got the tractor fixed today. Carl said maybe the snow has been holding off so we could scrape it off the road when it did come. Hope he is right. We are in bad need of a lot of snow. I am going up to Lavan tomorrow to see Grandpa. When Toni comes down again we are going over to Fillmore to get a marker for Delma. As long as it’s in by Spring its plenty of time. I miss her so much of the time. I miss her so much it’s terrible. I have no one to talk to. Hope it gets better.

Dec 11 1990
Hi!! The month is nearly half gone & still no storm. Hope something changes soon & we get some moisture. I went up to Levan to see Grandpa today. Took him a little meat for Christmas & say hello to Rulon & Jessie. Rulon was to work but I saw Jessie & Clark, her boy, along with his little girl. She is sure pretty. Had a good visit with Grandpa. He is still sharp as a tack. I had to get home before dark. I hate driving after dark, so act accordingly. The TV tonight is no good so turned it off & will read. I’d rather do that anyway.

Wed Dec 12 1990

It was cloudy this morning but didn’t look like storm. However by noon it had started to rain & snow. It did that the remainder of the day & is still at it. By Sat it should really be a good storm. I really hope so. We need the moisture. They are having a singles party tonight. I got an invitation, but don’t feel like celebrating. It will be two months tomorrow since Delma passed away. I can hardly believe it happened.

Dec 13 1990
We had the same old thing to do again this morning (cow feeding). It has been cloudy about all day but hasn’t stormed. It’s raining a little out there now and its 8:00 PM. Ted is to school in Delta. Jerid & Ryan are to Hurricane wrestling. Tamra is still sick so they are having a time. Toni called tonight & said it has been snowing up there nearly all day. They are doing fine. Old Santa Clause has already showed up here even if it doesn’t seem like Christmas. It is two months since Delma died. I sure miss her company.

Dec 14 1990
It snowed!! Only about five or six inches, but it was very wet. The boys got home from wrestling last night or about 3:00 this morning. They were sure tired. We moved the cows. We got in front of them in the truck & they followed us right to the yard. They sure are good cows.

Sat (Dec) 15 1990
It’s a beautiful day today even if it is cold. The sun is out & quite warm. We did the chores as usual & found things fine. It’s the Senior Prom dance tonight & Ryan is going with his date. He borrowed the car & is wearing a tuxedo. Said he’d come down & let me see how pretty he looks (ha! ha!) We are going to get another storm or so they said. Hope they are right.

Sun (Dec) 16 1990
It has snowed nearly all day but hasn’t laid much on the ground. It’s still cloudy tonight, but isn’t snowing at the present time. I had some carolers come earlier tonight. It was Joyce Coats & her family. Then a little later someone knocked & when I went to the door no one was there, but they had left a stocking with some Christmas tree ornaments & some cookies. It also had a note that said if I left the sock out every night till Christmas they would fill it up for me. That is something I never expected & I don’t know who did it.

Mon (Dec) 17 1990
We went out this morning & found our white bull in with Dean Larson’s Black Angus herd so we brought him down to Carl’s & fixed fence all morning. So we had a good half day anyway. Jean Dobson called & invited me along with Wells Kenny & Arvin Stevens out to dinner so I guess we will go. People are sure nice to me, but I still feel very much out of place & would rather stay home (sad but true.) We went & had a good time. Cecil Stephenson was there also.

Tuesday (Dec) 18 1990
Today is a fine day. We did the chores then looked at the mail. I got a letter from Sacramento, Calif about my income tax. They think I owe. Our pension, for my insulation days comes from there, so they figure I should pay. We have an income tax expert on the case so hope she can stop this foolishness. My old friend & his wife just left. They come from Salina. George Jackson & his wife Beth. They are good people. He was raided here played football for B.Y.U. in the forties. He was half back& was a good one.

Wed Dec 19 1990
The weather today is cold with a good wind to make it even colder. It started to snow about 5:00 today & is still snowing. Hope it keeps it up & doesn’t get too cold. Our windmill quit sometime last night. So Carl was going to call Nate Rhodes to see if they could get it fixed. Hope they can, then we won’t have to haul water.

Dec 20 1990
It’s a cold day today. I thought it would be snowing, but I believe it’s too cold. We have about 8 or 10 inches of snow. Ricky, Carl’s boy, came up with the tractor & scraped the driveway out. Made it a lot better. Carl & his family are sure good to me. Wells Kenny got stuck today & while I went looking for a chain someone came along & did it for me. Anyway they pulled him out.

Dec 21 1990

Today is the 1st day of winter & it feels like it too. It was 6 or 8 below zero. This I know for we nearly froze to death feeding. It was 35 below in Rock Springs, Wyo this morning with a wind child of 77 degrees below. We lived in Rock Springs one winter in the early 50’s.

Dec 22 1990
Cold, Cold!! This is the coldest day I can remember & I’m an old man. It only got up to about 10 degrees at the warmest. It got down to -20 degrees last night & may be worse tonight. Toni called tonight & said folks up there were all staying home. I have got a good fire & it’s still cold on the other side of the room. Hope the cars will start in the morning so I can feed the cows. I wish it would warm up.

Dec 23 1990
It was cold again today. In fact, we had records broken all over the state. Went up to Ted’s for dinner, then came home & put all the wood I could in the stove. They say it should start warming up a few degrees each day. Hope so. It got 35 below zero in Flowell so it must have been around 25 or 30 below zero here.

Dec 24 1990

It is another record breaking day again today. Things are getting bad. If a person can get their care started the transmission and brake fluid is frozen up even the power steering is gone. I believe this is the worst it’s been as long as the records have been kept. I sure miss Delma. She had a job keeping me straight.

Dec 25 1990
It’s Christmas! Believe it or not & it’s still cold. Hope it warms up soon. Toni is coming today or tomorrow. She is going to help me out with the hospital and Dr. bills. I never saw such a mess. Went up to Ted’s this morning & saw the kids open their presents. They got some good ones. I also got a whole bunch of good stuff. I hope after these holidays things get better. I really feel bad today because of Delma being gone. She was one fine wife & I love & mess her more than I can say. Larry called to tell me they all had a fine Christmas & are doing good. Grandpa Wood gave me a good check. I believe I’ll get a headstone with that money. I can’t think of a better way for the money, if its fine with Grandpa Wood. Hope he stays well this winter.

Dec 26 1990
It’s still cold. We still have to feed the cows & if the windmill isn’t fixed soon we will have to haul water out to Cedar Mt. It’s been two years since we did it before. Uncle Lawrence is in the hospital for sugar in his blood. He has a bad time with his blood.

Dec 27 1990
Well we had to haul water to Cedar Mt for the cows. We took the tank out in Carl’s pickup & the water in the big truck. It’s so cold outside the water freezes in a few minutes. The calves are worse off than the cows. Another storm & cold weather is on the way, so guess spring isn’t here yet.

Dec 28 1990

The weather is better at the present time, at least it isn’t freezing. Albert Bennett came to see me today. We always have a good talk & I like him to come. Carl L& I are going to take another load of water out to Cedar Mt in case it snows & we can’t make it tomorrow. A storm is on its way & should get here sometime tonight, with cold weather again.

Dec 29 1990
It’s still cold & I’m afraid things around the house will freeze up. I let a little water in the tub run so that should be good.

Sunday 30 Dec 1990
We had some trouble with the water out to the little field. We finally got it thawed out about 3:30. It’s still cold & breaking records all over. Went over to see Lawrence & Lula. Lawrence sure looks tough. David & Bonnie, his wife, were there. Hope he gets better soon.

Mon (Dec) 31 1990
The water was still running out to the little field but we will take a tank out to Cedar Mt this afternoon. Well today is the last day of the year 1990. Hope the next is better, it’s been the worst I could ever have. Especially these holidays. They are killers & no fooling. I feel bad all the time & miss Delma more than I can ever say. I’m glad we believe as we do for I know I’ll see her again & have all our kids & grandkids also. That all that keeps me going.

No comments: